Saturday, March 24, 2007

My G-Tube

Today I went to the hospital to get a thing called a G-Tube but on my tummy. Dad and Mommy say I need one because I don't eat very well right now. Chemo makes everything smell or taste funny and I just don't want to eat. Getting a G-tube means I have to stay the night at the hospital. This time is wasn't such a bad thing because my tummy really hurt.

I stayed in bed all day Thursday, the day I got my new button (that's what I call it). I also stayed in bed all day Friday. I didn't even get out of bed to go potty because it hurt too much to move. You'll have to ask my mommy how we managed to go potty without getting out of bed. I think you can only do it at a hospital - they have lots of interesting stuff in case you can't move.

For being a good patient I got this cool new Lego Fire truck and trailer. It kept me busy while I waited and waited and waited for the doctor to say it was okay for me to eat. I didn't eat for 42 hours and I was grouchy and hungry.
Ahh... food! As soon as Dr. Roberts gave me the thumbs up to eat I went crazy. I ate Pirates Bootie, cheerio’s, bagel, sourdough bread, blueberry muffin, pretzels, choc-chip cookie and ½ a banana. Then I had some chicken noodle soup and half a cup o’ mashed potatoes for dinner. After that I felt much better!

I don't miss out on any school work while I'm at the hospital.


Here are two great pictures of my new button. You can see my belly button just above my pants waistband - it looks like a little line. My new button is about 2 inches higher and looks a lot like the blow up nozzle on a beach ball. It's clear rubber. I can turn it in any direction. At night I pull the little plug out and mom gives me a special tube to pop in to the hole. Then while I sleep a little machine pumps something like vanilla milk right into my stomach. Dad and Mommy say that it will help me get big and strong even when I have a hard time eating during the day.

This last picture is me in the hospital school room. I can't believe I've never mentioned this place before! They have lots of cool books to borrow and super fun computer games. I get to go here on the days I'm at the hospital.

No comments: